I always love to have a big bowl of potato salad on weekend. I eat it as main dish, with nothing else. I used to make this dish with a big batch of crispy bacon, but today, I wanted to try something new and healthier. So I broiled a chicken leg in oven and shredded it to add in the salad. It turned out wonderful!
I used a very basic marinate method to prepare the chicken leg in this recipe. Other times I also use this way when I haven’t decided what I want to make the second day. The spices in the marinate juice will tender the chicken, add subtle flavor but without overpowering the meat. And the second day, I can grilled the chicken and use it for salad, rice or noodles stir-fry, or just coat it with flour and make fried chicken. The marinate juice is also good for chicken breast too.
Creamy Chicken Potato Salad
- 1 big chicken with thigh or 1 chicken breast
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch of black pepper
ingredients for salad
- 1 table spoon + 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 big potato or 2 small potatos, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 boiled eggs peeled and coarsly chopped
- 1 clove garlic smashed
- 1/2 cup mayonaise and more to adjust flavor
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice generate from 1/4 wedge
- grounded black pepper to taste
- Mix marinate sauce in a bowl and stir till well blended. Dry chicken with paper towel. Add chicken and all the sauce into a ziplock bag, marinate for 2 hours in room tempreture or overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 200C (350F). Line baking tray with aluminum foil. Drain chicken with paper towel and place on baking tray. Discard marinate sauce. Bake chicken leg for 40-50 minutes, till juice running clear when poking with knife. Place cooked chicken on a plate and let it cool down.
- While baking the chicken, add potato, 1 tablespoon salt and water into a big pot. Heat the pot on medium high heat till boiling, and then turn to low heat. Boil the potato till you could easily poke it through with a fork, in about 20 minutes. Place potato in a plate and let it cool down a bit, then transfer into fridge to chill down, for about 20 minutes.
- While the chicken and potato is chilling, prepare the vegetables.
- Mix garlic, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, rest of salt and pepper in a small bowl, set aside.
- Shredded chicken leg meat and cut into bite size.
- Dice chilled potato into bite size.
- Mix potato, chicken, onion, celery, egg and the sauce mixture into a big bowl or in a pot, mix well with spatula.
- Before serving, chill the potato salad in fridge for 1 hour to overnight, in order to let flavor blends well together. (option)