Cumin Lamb Burger
A beef burger is the ultimate comfort food. But once in awhile you might want to spice things up, and try something different. These lamb burgers are perfect for you if you like bold flavors. Pack a powerful punch of flavor in your burger with soy sauce, cumin, cayenne powder, garlic, and black pepper.
Servings: 4 burgers
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice , freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup red onion , minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves , finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- Pinch of salt
For the burger
- 1 pound (450 grams) ground lamb meat
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder (or paprika powder if you like it less spicy)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 4 burger buns
- Sliced tomato, onion, and lettuce leaves for toppings (Optional)
Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl, and whisk to mix well. Cover and store in the fridge until ready to use.
In a large bowl combine ground lamb meat, soy sauce, cumin powder, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne powder (or paprika powder). Gently break up meat and fold by hand until the ingredients are evenly distributed. Do not over mix.
Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and shape them to balls. Place on a plate and lightly flatten with fingertips into 1/2-inch thick patties.
(Optional) Heat a tablespoon butter or oil in a skillet with medium heat. Grill the cut side of burger buns until golden brown.
Heat a heavy bottom pan or a grill over medium heat heat until hot. Add oil. If using a grill, grease the grill with a thin layer of oil by using paper towel attached with a pair of tongs. Add the lamb patties. Allow to cook without disturbing until the bottom side is well browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Flip and let cook until juices run clear, about 2 to 4 minutes.
Place the lamb burgers on the buns, top with yogurt sauce, and sliced tomato and onion (if using). Serve hot.