Miso Glazed Carrots
This miso glaze is slightly sweet, buttery, and slightly charred to release its umami, which makes the carrots more irresistible than candy.
- 1 and 1/2 to 2 pounds (700 to 900 grams) carrots , peeled (*Footnote 1)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped chive for garnish (Optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste (*footnote 2)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or paprika for less spiciness)
Preheat oven to 175 degrees C (350 F). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean up, if needed.
Dry carrots thoroughly and place onto the baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt. Toss with a pair of tongs to evenly coat carrots with oil.
Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the carrots just start to turn tender but are still chewy inside. (*Footnote 3)
Mix all the ingredients for the glaze while roasting.
Brush the miso sauce onto both sides of the carrots. You might have a bit of leftover sauce depending on how many carrots you used.
Return the baking sheet to the oven and roast for a further 20 to 30 minutes, until the carrots turns tender while piercing with a fork, and the surface is lightly caramelized.
Serve warm as a side.
- I used large carrots and it took me 55 minutes in total to roast. If you’re using smaller carrots, especially new carrots, you might halve the time.
- White miso generates the best result, but red and mixed miso work too.
- If you’re using much smaller carrots and found out they have turned quite tender before applying miso glaze, you can turn up oven temperature to 400 F to caramelize the glaze without overcooking the carrots.
Serving: 196g, Calories: 161kcal, Carbohydrates: 22.9g, Protein: 2.3g, Fat: 7.4g, Saturated Fat: 1.1g, Sodium: 420mg, Potassium: 594mg, Fiber: 4.7g, Sugar: 12g, Vitamin A: 29350IU, Vitamin C: 14.9mg, Calcium: 70mg, Iron: 0.7mg