Instant Pot Chinese Sausage Rice
Chinese sausage rice made easy using the Instant Pot. No rice soaking required, minimal active cooking time, and perfect results. The rich and savory sticky rice is seasoned with soy sauce and mixed with sweet Chinese sausage and crunchy water chestnuts. It’s a perfect one-pot weekday dinner!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 1/2 cups glutinous rice (long grain or short grain sticky rice) (*Footnote 1)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large shallots , sliced (or 1 onion)
- 8 (about 0.5 oz / 15 g ) dried shiitake mushrooms (medium-sized)
- 5 links (7 oz / 200 g) Chinese sausage , sliced
- 1/4 cup Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry)
- 2 cups chicken broth (*Footnote 2)
- 1 cup whole water chestnuts , sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce (or soy sauce) (*Footnote 3)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced, for garnish
Add the rice and enough water to cover the rice into a large bowl. Use your fingers to gently rinse the rice in a swirling motion, then drain the water.
Heat 1 cup of water in the microwave until hot. Add the dried shiitake mushrooms. Soak until the mushrooms turn soft, 15 to 20 minutes. Once done, squeeze the liquid out of the mushrooms into the soaking water. Slice the mushrooms thinly. Reserve 1/2 cup of the soaking water for cooking.
Cut the rest of the ingredients while rehydrating the mushrooms.
Turn on the “Saute” function on your Instant Pot and wait until it’s heated. Add the butter and stir a few times until it melts.
Add the shallot and shiitake mushrooms. Stir a few times to coat well with butter. Then spread the ingredients into a single layer. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until the edges of the onions turn golden, 6 minutes or so.
Add the Chinese sausage. Cook and stir until the edges turn golden and crispy, 2 minutes.
Pour in the Shaoxing wine. Use your spatula to release any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Cook until the wine has evaporated completely.
Turn off “Saute”. Add the rice. Stir to mix the rice evenly with the other ingredients. Add the chicken stock, the 1/2 cup mushroom soaking liquid, water chestnuts, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and salt. Stir to mix well.
Cover the Instant Pot and seal the valve. Set on “Manual” at high pressure for 12 minutes.
Once the Instant Pot is done cooking, wait for 5 minutes, then switch to fast release by using a long spatula or other utensil to rotate the valve to “Venting” (or use the release button on your Instant Pot lid). Stay away from the Instant Pot to avoid being burned by the hot steam coming out of the pot when using fast release.
Fluff the rice and garnish with sliced green onions.
Serve hot as a main or side dish.
Store the leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for 1 month. Reheat in the microwave before serving.
- I used the standard US measuring cup (8 oz. / 240 ml), not the rice cup that comes with your rice cooker.
- If you prefer slightly chewy rice, reduce the chicken stock to 1 1/2 cup.
- You can use soy sauce to replace dark soy sauce, but your rice will have a lighter color.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 365kcal | Carbohydrates: 59.4g | Protein: 10.8g | Fat: 8.1g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 767mg | Potassium: 336mg | Fiber: 1.6g | Sugar: 1.8g | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 3mg