Easy Vegetarian Thai Curry
This rich and scrumptious vegetarian Thai curry is super fast and easy to cook.
The recipe was adapted from one in Farm to Table Asian Secrets: Vegan & Vegetarian Full-Flavored Recipes for Every Season by Patricia Tanumihardja. I slightly changed the ingredients, for example, by adding more vegetable variety and skipping the less common ingredients such as lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves.
This is a very versatile recipe and many types of vegetables work well in it. For example, you can replace any of the veggies with kale, mushrooms, potato, sweet potato, and Asian eggplant.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sliced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian red curry paste
- 2 cups (6 oz / 170 g) green beans , trimmed and snapped in half
- 2 medium carrots , peeled and sliced
- 1 8.5 oz (240 g) can pre-cooked artichoke hearts
- 1 cup vegetable stock (or water)
- 1 can (14 oz / 397 g) unsweetened coconut milk , divided
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free)
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bell pepper , sliced
- 1 zucchini , sliced
- Chopped cilantro for garnish (Optional)
- Lime juice
Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or a dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Add the onion. Cook and stir until it turns lightly golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the ginger, garlic, and the red curry paste. Cook and stir until the curry is toasted, 1 minute or so. If the curry starts to burn, add a bit of vegetable stock to thin it out.
Add the green beans, carrot, and the artichoke hearts. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes to toast the vegetables.
Add the vegetable stock, coconut milk, soy sauce, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 8 minutes, or until the vegetables just turn soft.
Add the bell pepper and zucchini. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Adjust seasoning by adding more salt, if needed.
Serve hot over steamed rice with lime wedges on the side. Squeeze some lime juice into the curry while eating.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 384kcal | Carbohydrates: 28.7g | Protein: 7.1g | Fat: 29.7g | Saturated Fat: 22.5g | Sodium: 731mg | Potassium: 928mg | Fiber: 9.6g | Sugar: 10.9g | Calcium: 7% | Iron: 23%