Instant Pot Congee (鸡肉菠菜粥)
This is your perfect one-bowl dinner. It only takes 2 minutes prepare and you’ll have dinner ready in 30 minutes.
The recipe works in a normal pressure cooker too.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 cup uncooked Jasmine rice
- 6 cups chicken broth , for a thicker congee (7 to 8 cups for thinner congee)
- 2 chicken breasts (or 4 boneless skinless thighs, about 1.5 lbs (680 g))
- 2 teaspoons ginger , grated
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (or to taste)
- 4 cups baby spinach (or 2 cups frozen spinach) (*Footnote 1)
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 green onions , chopped
- Boiled or fried eggs
- Sriracha sauce or homemade chili oil
- Chinese pickles or fermented tofu
- Crushed roasted peanuts or roasted sesame seeds
- Chopped cilantro
Add Jasmine rice into a large bowl. Add tap water to cover. Use your hand to rinse the rice gently a couple times, then drain the water. Repeat 2 times. Transfer the drained rice into the Instant pot. Add chicken broth, chicken, and ginger.
Close and seal the lid. Set to cook in manual mode on high pressure for 15 minutes. If using a pressure cooker, cook over medium heat until the pressure is added. Then cook on high pressure with medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
Use natural release once done. Do not use fast release. (*Footnote 2)
Transfer the chicken breasts to a big plate and shred them with forks. Transfer the chicken back into the pot.
Turn on saute function. Add the spinach into the pot. Cook and stir for 1 minute and turn off the Instant Pot.
Add toasted sesame oil and green onion. Stir to mix well.
Transfer the congee into small serving bowls. Garnish with any toppings you prefer. Or you can simply serve the hot congee as it is.
- Other vegetables such as bok choy, kale, and mustard greens work as well.
- Do not use fast release when making congee. Due to its starchy texture, it will clog the valve easily and spill congee everywhere.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 26.4g | Protein: 23.6g | Fat: 4.9g | Saturated Fat: 0.6g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 915mg | Potassium: 620mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 0.9g | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 2.3mg