Stir Fried Little Bok Choy with Dried Shrimps & What We Eat in China #1
With only two ingredients and minimal prep time, you can create a fragrant and irresistible veggie dish in under 5 minutes!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Servings: 2 to 4 servings
- 2 batches little bok choy (about 1 pound / 450 grams)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons shell-on baby dried shrimps (papery dried shrimps) (*footnote 1)
- Salt to taste (Optional)
Remove the ends of the little bok choy by using a pair of scissors. Rinse the little bok choy thoroughly to remove any dirt between stalks.
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Fill a large second pot with cold water. Add all the little bok choy (without chopping) and press them into the boiling water. Let briefly cook for 5 to 7 seconds. Remove them immediately from the pot and transfer to the cold water. Let cool for a minute or so, until it’s possible to handle with your hands. Gently squeeze the water from the little bok choy without pressing too hard. Chop the little bok choy into 1/2-inch (1-cm) long small pieces.
Heat a wok over a high heat (*Footnote 2). Add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom. Add the dried shrimps. Cook and stir for a few seconds until the shrimps turn crispy and lightly browned.
Add the little bok choy. Stir a few times to mix well. Turn to a medium low heat. Cook covered for a minute or so, until the little bok choy turns tender but still has a hint of crunchiness. Cover and let cook a bit longer if needed.
Uncover and stir a few more times. Taste the little bok choy and sprinkle on a bit more salt if necessary. Transfer everything into a plate immediately, to prevent from overcooking.
Serve hot or warm as a side dish.
- Dried shrimps taste different depending on the brand you buy, and sometimes they can be very salty. When you buy a new brand, start with 1 to 2 tablespoons of dry shrimps, so your dish won’t turn out too salty.
- Although I used a wok as demonstration (at my mom’s place), you can definitely use a nonstick flat skillet instead.
Serving: 1of 4 servings | Calories: 75kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 6.8g | Fat: 3.5g | Sodium: 27mg