Vegetable Fried Rice (蔬菜炒饭)
The best vegetable fried rice that you can prep and cook in 10 minutes.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 2 to 3 servings
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (*Footnote 1)
- 4 eggs , beaten (*Footnote 2)
- 3 to 4 cups cooked white rice , frozen or refrigerated overnight works best
- 1 tablespoon fermented black beans , rinsed and chopped (or 2 teaspoons soy sauce, or 2 tablespoons Sui Mi Ya Cai) (*Footnote 3)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese chili flakes (Optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 4 green onions , chopped
Add 1 tablespoon oil to a large nonstick skillet and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add the frozen veggies. Stir and cook until just thawed. Transfer to a big plate and set aside.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and add the beaten eggs. Wait until the bottom of the eggs is set but the top is still runny.
Add the rice on top of the runny egg. Use your spatula to chop the rice to separate it into small pieces, so some of the rice is coated with egg.
Add back the vegetables. Stir everything together a few times.
Add the fermented black beans, garlic, cumin powder, Chinese chili flakes, salt, and green onion. Stir to mix well. Cook and stir occasionally, until the rice turns slightly crispy, 2 to 3 minutes.
Transfer everything to a plate and serve hot as a main dish or side dish. You can serve it with some hot sauce like Sriracha, but it’s not required.
- You can use a frozen vegetable mix that contains diced or small pieces of vegetables such as carrot, snow peas, bell peppers, etc. No thawing needed.
- Use 1 1/2 cup fried tofu or oven baked tofu to replace the eggs if you want to make a vegan or vegetarian dish.
- Any of these ingredients will boost the flavor of the fried rice. To create a gluten-free dish, use fermented black beans, sui mi ya cai, or tamari.
Serving: 3g | Calories: 480kcal | Carbohydrates: 68.4g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 15.5g | Saturated Fat: 3.5g | Cholesterol: 218mg | Sodium: 524mg | Potassium: 430mg | Fiber: 6.8g | Sugar: 4.9g | Calcium: 8% | Iron: 29%