Chinese Egg Drop Soup
Make the restaurant-style Chinese egg drop soup with the minimum ingredients, within 15 minutes, and without any fuss.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 green onions , chopped, white and green parts separated
- 1 slice ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (or to taste)
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder , for the yellow color (Optional)
- 4 large eggs , beaten (Footnote 1)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
Combine the chicken broth, the white part of the green onion and ginger in a small pot. Cook over high heat until brought to a boil. Turn to a low heat and let the soup reduce to a simmer.
Combine cornstarch, white pepper, turmeric, sea salt and 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Whisk until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Swirl into the soup and mix well with a spatula.
To add eggs, hold a fork (or two chopsticks slightly apart) across the top of a small bowl, drizzle the egg mixture slowly through the gaps into the soup. Let the eggs set for a few seconds, then stir gently to break up the egg to the desired sized pieces.
Drizzle sesame oil and sprinkle with the green part of the green onion.
- If you want the egg ribbons look even better, try to use 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites. Adding more egg white will make the egg ribbons more consistent. If you have leftover egg whites from baking, now it's a good chance to use them!
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 274kcal | Carbohydrates: 20.9g | Protein: 22.5g | Fat: 12.7g | Cholesterol: 174mg | Sodium: 268mg | Potassium: 385mg | Fiber: 2.5g | Sugar: 3.2g | Vitamin A: 8IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 4mg | Iron: 21mg