Asian-Style Potato Chowder
Creamy, comforting, and smooth, this veggie loaded Asian-style potato chowder is a soothing one-bowl meal that will warm you up in winter.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 6 to 8
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (*footnote 1)
- 2 carrots , diced
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons miso paste (*footnote 2)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups milk
- 1.5 pound Yukon gold potatoes , peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups shrimp (or leftover turkey, or chicken)
- 1 head broccoli , separated into florets
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper , freshly ground
- Thinly sliced chive or green onion shredded cheese, bacon crumbs
Add oil to a large dutch oven or heavy duty stockpot and heat over medium heat until warm. Turn to medium low heat. Add carrot. Cook and stir until just starting to turn tender, after about 5 minutes.
Add green onion and garlic. Cook and stir for another minute to release fragrance.
Sprinkle flour into the pot. Cook and stir to let it coat evenly with the ingredients. Cook for about 1 minute to fully cook the flour.
Add miso paste. Stir to coat evenly on the ingredients.
Add chicken stock, half a cup at a time. Stir and cook until simmering before adding more. When it forms a silky and runny paste, add the rest stock and milk, stir to combine.
Add potato and corn. Cook over medium heat until brought to a simmer. Turn to medium low heat. Let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the potato turns tender but does not break part. Stir occasionally to avoid burning the bottom.
Add broccoli and shrimp. Continue to cook for 3 to 5 minutes until cooked through.
Stir in cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Stir to mix well, and adjust seasoning if needed.
- The Asian-style potato chowder is less heavy than western style cream soup. If you like your soup extra rich, use 3 tablespoons olive oil and 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour instead.
- Red, white, and awase (mixed) miso all work well in this recipe.
Serving: 405g | Calories: 282kcal | Carbohydrates: 30.4g | Protein: 17.6g | Fat: 11.3g | Saturated Fat: 4.9g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 605mg | Potassium: 751mg | Fiber: 3.5g | Sugar: 7.3g | Vitamin A: 3200IU | Vitamin C: 94.9mg | Calcium: 290mg | Iron: 1.8mg