Cheesy Kimchi pancake
These cheesy kimchi pancakes require minimal prep and only 20 minutes to cook. They also provide a clever way of using up leftovers. Isn’t it a great lunch solution?
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 8 to 10 pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups kimchi , cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup chopped leftover meat such as roast chicken, beef, or pork
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese , shredded
- 2 teaspoons gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste) (Optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Combine flour and water in a large bowl. Mix well until it becomes a smooth and thin batter.
Add kimchi, eggs, cheese, and gochujang (if using). (*See footnote) Mix well. The batter will be very runny but should be able to coat a spoon. If you find the batter too thin, blend in a bit more flour and mix well again.
Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
Cook pancakes one at a time. Add 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat. When oil is warm, add a ladle of batter into the center of the skillet. Quickly swirl the skillet to let batter spread into a thin disc. Spread the batter evenly with the back of the ladle. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the bottom is firm and slightly browned. Flip and cook the other side until the batter sets, about 1 minute. If the skillet gets hot and starts to smoke, turn to medium low heat or remove the skillet from heat for 30 seconds to cool.
Transfer the pancake to a plate and continue to make pancakes with the rest of the batter.
Serve warm with sauce.
- If you are using gochujang, be sure to dissolve it thoroughly in the batter. The paste is very, very thick. If you don’t mix it well, you might end up with a huge chunk of paste in a single pancake.
Serving: 93g | Calories: 159kcal | Carbohydrates: 11.8g | Protein: 8.8g | Fat: 8.2g | Saturated Fat: 2.1g | Cholesterol: 79mg | Sodium: 431mg | Potassium: 64mg | Sugar: 1.3g | Vitamin A: 3% | Calcium: 5% | Iron: 6%