Juicy chicken with crispy skin, tender potato, and colorful peppers are brought together by a peanut butter and coconut based sauce. Sweet, savory, nutty, and spicy! And it all comes together in one pan, fuss free.
- 2 pound (1-kg) bone-in skin-on chicken thighs and/or legs (*Footnote 1)
- 1/2 tablespoon Madras curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika powder
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 (270-millimeter / 9 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (14 ounces / 400 grams) russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- (Optional) Chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 C).
- Combine all the ingredients of the spice mix. Sprinkle on both sides of the chicken.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add chicken, skin side down. Cook until both sides turn dark brown and crispy, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken onto a big plate.
- Turn to medium heat. Add the rest of the 1 tablespoon of olive oil and onion. Cook until it becomes tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic. Stir fry for 30 seconds, to release the aroma.
- Add paprika powder and curry powder. Stir until the ingredients are well coated with spices, 20 to 30 seconds.
- Add chicken stock, coconut milk, peanut butter, oyster sauce, and bay leaves. Stir with a spatula to dissolve the peanut butter until it’s well blended with the sauce. Bring to the boil.
- Add potato, peppers, and chicken to the curry. Transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the skin crispy, about 45 minutes.
- Serve hot over steamed rice.
1. Boneless skinless thigh or chicken breast will work too. In this case, change baking time to 30 to 35 minutes, until the inner temperature reaches 165 F (74 C).
- Serving Size: 1 serving of the 6 servings
- Calories: 579
- Sugar: 8.6g
- Sodium: 531mg
- Fat: 44.1g
- Carbohydrates: 26.7g
- Fiber: 6.3g
- Protein: 25.6g
- Cholesterol: 56mg