These crispy tofu tacos are bursting with flavors and a creamy texture in each bite. Packed with lean protein, healthy fat and veggies, they only take 20 minutes to prepare and cook, hold well for hours, and taste great even when getting cold!
- 1 (12-oz. / 340-g) block extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
No-fat creamy Sriracha sauce
- 1 cup no-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup (or maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoon light soy sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 8 flour tortillas (or corn tortillas)
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers (or anaheim pepper for less spiciness), sliced
- Lime wedges
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 C). Line a baking tray with parchment.
- Press the water out of the tofu while heating up the oven. Carefully press the tofu with your hands. Slice the tofu into two even-thickness pieces. Wrap a few layers of cheesecloth (or kitchen paper towel) outside the tofu, and place a small tray with a heavy weight on top. The weight can be a jar of pickles or canned tomatoes.
- When the oven is heated, cut the tofu into 1/2-inch (1-cm) pieces and transfer into a big bowl.
- Add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, vegetable oil, cumin powder, and the garlic powder. Gently mix with a spatula until the tofu cubes are evenly coated.
- When the oven is heated, transfer and spread the tofu onto the parchment-lined baking tray, and reserve the marinade for later.
- Bake the tofu for 10 minutes. Remove the baking tray from the oven and discard the parchment paper. Add the reserved marinade, and gently mix again to coat the tofu. Bake for another 5 to 7 minutes, until the surface turns brown and crispy.
Creamy Sriracha sauce
- Add everything into a mixer and mix until it forms a smooth sauce. You can also add everything into a deep cup and use a hand blender to mix the sauce.
- The sauce is ready to use now.
- You can store the leftover sauce in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 5 days. The leftover sauce will taste even better.
- While baking the tofu, preheat the tortillas. Place tortillas in two stacks (4 pieces per stack) and wrap with aluminum foil. Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until heated through.
- Assemble the tacos by adding the baked tofu, avocado, and cherry tomatoes into the tortillas. Add peppers according to your spiciness tolerance. Add 2 tablespoons of no-fat creamy Sriracha sauce and drizzle with lime juice. Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 taco of the 8 Tacos
- Calories: 309cal
- Sugar: 3.9g
- Sodium: 596mg
- Fat: 16.8g
- Carbohydrates: 32.6g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Protein: 9.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg