Want to learn how to create that rich and silky bubble tea the proper Asian street vendor style? Here is how.
- 1 cup dried black tapioca pearls, regular or instant (*Footnote 1)
- 4 tablespoons (40 grams) loose leaf black tea, or 8 black tea bags
- 2 tablespoons Domino® Quick Dissolve Superfine Sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream (or 4 cups milk, or plant-based milk for a vegetarian drink)
- 4 tablespoons Domino® Quick Dissolve Superfine Sugar, or to taste
- (Optional) Ice cubes for a cold drink
To prepare tapioca pearls – the regular type
- Add 8 cups water to a small pot and bring to a boil. Add tapioca pearls and stir gently until they float to the top. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, until the tapioca pearls turn tender throughout, but still a bit chewy in texture. Remove the pan from the stove, cover, and let rest for 15 minutes. Drain tapioca and transfer to a small bowl.
- Add sugar and 1/4 cup water. Mix well with a spoon. Marinate at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes.
- You can use the tapioca pearls now, or store them in the fridge until ready to use. They will taste the best when fresh, but you can store them for a couple days. Their texture will become chewier the longer you let them sit.
To prepare tapioca pearls—the instant type
- Add 8 cups water to a small pot and bring to a boil. Add tapioca pearls and stir gently until they float to the top. Cook covered over medium heat for 2 minutes. Removed the pan from the stove and let steam covered, for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the tapioca pearls turns tender throughout, but still a bit chewy in texture. Drain the tapioca pearls with a sieve and run under tap water for a few seconds, to stop cooking. Drain again and transfer to a small bowl.
- Add sugar and 1/4 cup water. Mix well with a spoon.
- You can use the tapioca pearls now, or place them in room temperature for half a day, until ready to use.
Prepare bubble tea
- Add 6 cups water to a small pot and bring to a boil. Add black tea and simmer uncovered over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Stop heat and let the tea steep, covered, for another 5 minutes. Strain tea with a very fine colander or coffee filter (or remove the tea bags).
- Add the tapioca pearls into each glass. Pour in 1 1/2 of the black tea and 1/4 cup heavy cream (or 1 cup milk). Add 1 tablespoon sugar or to taste, mix well.
- Serve the drink hot, at room temperature, or add ice cubes to serve it cold.
1. Like I mentioned in the blog post, instant tapioca pearls are easy to cook and they taste the best when served fresh. However, if you want to prepare them at least a day ahead, use the regular type instead, or they will turn too chewy when you’re ready to serve.