You only need one sauce, three ingredients, and 15 minutes to make this delicious wholesome plate of dinner.
This is the final episode of my mini-blog series on Chinese orange sauce. Just a quick recap, I introduced how to make a big batch of orange sauce in advance so you can shake it and use it to cook various types of quick dishes. For example: Chinese Orange Chicken, and Roasted Orange Cauliflower.
In this post, I want to share the quickest way to finish a stir fried dish by using this stir-fry sauce. That is, without marinating the protein to minimize prep time. The recipe is straight to the point so I’ll keep this one short.
Remember, you can always change up ingredients and use whatever you have at home. For example, you can switch the protein into chicken and use the pan fried chicken method in this post to sear the chicken without marinating. Or you can pan fry some steak and serve it with the same sauce. You can change the herb to garlic or green onion as well. Same idea applies for the vegetables, you can use broccoli or peppers etc.
If you like orange sauce, check out my original blog post. In the post I listed all the options of protein and vegetables that you can use with the orange sauce. Once you try out a recipe or two, you will get the idea and can start cooking dinner without using a recipe!
If you give this recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it (once you’ve tried it), and take a picture and tag it @omnivorescookbook on Instagram! I’d love to see what you come up with.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 batch asparagus, tough ends removed
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup cup homemade orange sauce
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add asparagus. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Cook and stir until blistered and cooked through. (Footnote 1) Transfer to a serving plate.
- Add the other 1 tablespoon oil and shrimp. Cook for 30 seconds. Stir and cook until the surface of the shrimps are just cooked but the insides are still a bit transparent. Remove the pan from the stove and pour in the pre-made orange sauce.
- Transfer the shrimp and the sauce onto the asparagus.
- Serve warm over steamed rice.