This recipe is perfect for the time when you don’t want to cook. It is one of the ways to use rice cooker wisely and you can get a delicious main dish without heat up stove or turn on oven. The best part is you could leave for a shower or a short run after set on the rice cooker, and there’ll be a hot dinner ready when you come back.
The point of this dish is to cook everything together in the rice cooker with some seasonings. Besides the combination in this recipes, you could try out different vegetables and meat. The rule is to select the kinds of vegetables that taste good after steaming and do not generate too much liquid, for example potato, radish, yam, mushroom, pumpkin, broccoli etc. Addition of meat is optional and there are lots of option too. In this recipe, I used leftover homemade chashu (braised pork). If you didn’t make chashu beforehand, use Italian sausage, grilled chicken or leftover pork/beef stew instead. If you add gravy from stew or braised dish, you should reduce seasonings listed in the recipe.
2. This recipe uses my leftover homemade chashu. If you don't have it, replace it with Italian sausage, leftover beef/pork stew, or braised chicken/turkey breast. The aim of this dish is simple, so feel free to change the combo of vegetables and meat to create your own dish.
- 1 cup raw white rice, rinsed
- water to cook rice
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken stock
- 1 medium potato, diced (1cm*1cm squares)
- 1/2 medium carrot, diced (1cm*1cm squares)
- 6-8 white mushrooms, stem trimmed off, quartered
- 1 piece chashu pork (approx. 10cm in length)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (option)
- handful of chopped green onion
- Add rice and water to rice cooker. The water should be slightly less than the amount you usually use to cook white rice. Because you will add liquid later and juice from vegetable will come out during cooking.
- Stir in chicken stock, add all the mixed vegetable, top with pork in to the rice cooker, layer by layer.
- Evenly pour in soy sauce, cooking wine and olive oil. Do not stir, keep the rice at bottom layer. Set rice cooker at regular cooking mode to cook white rice and press start.
- When the mixed rice is done, use a spatula to stir and mix everything together. Add salt to taste.
- Drizzle in sesame oil and green onion, give it a final stir and serve while hot.